Giorgione, NYC

March 11, 2009

Giorgione in downtown Manhattan is always a good dining experience. I used to work in the area so I have been there more times than I can count for lunch and dinner and I actually planned and hosted an event there for my previous company. About a week ago, when visiting for lunch, I was reflecting on the fact that I couldn't remember ever having a bad meal there so I thought I would get out my highlighter and mention it for all of you foodies out there.

The menu is straight-forward Italian comfort food and the service is good. It is not somewhere that you need to travel great distances to go to, but if you are in the neighborhood or even visiting the city for the day it is a definite recommend. During the busier lunch and dinner hours, it does tend to get a little loud so if you are looking for a quiet evening, go somewhere else. Also, it is always good to check the menu on-line to make sure it is in your price range because I did feel that their lunch menu may have recently had a price-infusion compared to past visits.

They have eight or more thin crust pizza offerings from the traditional margherita to quatro formaggi, to prosciutto and I have probably at one time or another sampled all of them. At my recent visit, my friend had the Bresaola Pizza with air dried beef, parmigiano and arugula which he said was very good. For the first time, I ordered the veal milanese because I always had food envy watching one of my former colleagues eat it every time we were there (and I was starving!) and I was glad I finally took the plunge. It is really thin and comes covered with a mixed green and tomato salad and it is very tasty! I can also vouch for the "Spaghetti Chitarra al Pomodoro" and have had the risotto of the day more than once, depending on what it is. From the appetizer menu, the "Mozzarella di Bufala" melts in your mouth and the "Fritto Misto", crispy calamari and shrimp with lemon and sea salt, are a good way to get started though many of the salads and prosciutto look to be yummy as well. For dessert, they have lots of traditional Italian sweets, but as you know, I usually go with the cheese offerings and I never regret it!

Of note, for dinner they also have a raw bar with oysters and other fresh seafood.

Bon Appetit!
Foodie

Giorgione Restaurant
307 Spring Street, NYC
Phone 212 352 2269
Website www.giorgionenyc.com

No comments: