Goodman's Cafe, NYC

March 22, 2009

I was meeting a business associate and friend for lunch this week in midtown. Because I haven't worked in that section of the city for many years I asked her to choose the restaurant and she provided 2 choices that are both near her office on West 57th Street, Trattoria Del'Arte or as she called it "Ladies Lunch at Bergdorf's". I've been to Trattoria before and I was more than a little intrigued by "Ladies Lunch" so off we went.

If I was alone, I am not sure I would have found the small, one-room cafe tucked away a few steps down from the beauty level in Bergdorf Goodman's. The lunch menu consisted of pea soup and soup of the day, an assortment of a few other appetizers, a variety of very interesting chopped salads, tea sandwiches plus about five other specialty sandwiches. I chose the Gotham Salad which had chicken, ham, gruyere, beets (which I left out), tomatoes, bacon and egg all gently chopped and tossed with iceberg lettuce. I LOVE chopped salad and the heaping plate that arrived at our table definitely did not disappoint (either did the people watching!).

The service was top shelf which is not something that I normally associate with the traditional "cafe" but welcome nonetheless. Goodman's was nearly full (with women of all ages) yet there was something zen and relaxing about the environment especially compared to many bustling midtown restaurants that I have had lunch in over the years. It was not as hoi polloi a vibe (in a good way) as one might expect to find in the world renown Bergdorf Goodman's. I have given alot of thought about the pricing which ranges from about $14 for sandwiches to an average of about $20 per salad. I guess it is a bit of a splurge compared to a pizza place or Cosi or Cafe Europa but not compared to most other midtown restaurants. If you have a sweet tooth, all of their desserts are priced at a reasonable $7 so you may opt to just go mid-afternoon for a cup of coffee and a brownie, a sundae or a piece of carrot cake and the relaxing solitude that comes with it here.

If you want to take a "load off" during a busy day of working or shopping or are coming into the city for the day for a show or for sightseeing, this "off-the-beaten path" eatery is worth a visit. Goodman's has quickly become my new favorite place "to lunch" when I am in the area. It is a a fun and different dining experience and also great for window shopping!

Enjoy!
Foodie

Goodman's Cafe
Located Inside Bergdorf Goodman
754 Fifth Avenue between 57th and 58th
NY, NY
Phone: 212 872 8708
view menu on www.menupages.com

Join us and become a fan of Foodie Favorites on Facebook. Share your comments or your own dining experiences on this blog by going to http://www.foodiefavorites.blogspot.com and clicking on "comments" at the bottom of the posting. Share with a friend by clicking the "sharethis" icon.

1 comment:

Foodie said...

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying. Keep reading and visit Foodie Favorites on Facebook and become a fan!