DIET GIRL I AM

January 21, 2009

I have been reading a certain Dr. Seuss book to my kids every night for about 3 weeks so I thought I would share my own life-version with you. Can you guess which book?



I am Sam
Sam I am.
I do not like that Sam I am.
Do you like salads every day?
I do not, no way.
Do you like them here or there?
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I would not could not, in the rain.
Not in the dark. Not on a train.
Not in a car. Not in a tree.
I do not like them, Sam you see.
Not in a house. Not in a box.
Not with a mouse. Not with a fox.
I do not like salads every day!
Try them, Try them and you may.
What's that you say?
The no-fat dressings make you sob?
Try balsamic from Olde Cape cod.
Chop the salad really small and
you will be walking tall.
Sam, if you will let me be,
I will try it you will see. (pause)
I DO LIKE SALADS EVERYDAY!
I will do what you say!
Chop, chop, chop and Olde Cape Cod
Give a girl a happy bod!

The truth of the matter is that I started my diet about 15 days ago (but who's counting?) and after 1 week and 7 or 8 salad dressings later, I could not imagine how people eat a salad (or 2) everyday and actually enjoy it. I literally came home every other day from the grocery store with 3 new no-fat or low-fat salad dressings and I thought they were all terrible. Everyone makes a balsamic dressing but they all tasted bitter.

I was sharing my dilemma over a non-diet dinner with one of my friends and she suggested OLDE CAPE COD'S BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE (the bonus is that it is fat free). I must admit that I was skeptical considering I had already tried so many other brands but what did I have to lose so I picked up a bottle anyway. Much to my surprise she was right- it made the salad bearable, dare I say almost enjoyable? By the way, did I say that she is my skinniest, healthiest, salad-loving friend? I should have never doubted that she would be right about which dressing was the best so a shout out to her- you know who you are- keep those tips coming!

A couple of other salad tips that have been learned along the way:

Chop, chop, chop...I really do think it makes a difference if the lettuce, vegetables and everything else are chopped into very small pieces. I think the flavors mix together better and it is easier to toss with the dressing. My father-in-law makes a fabulous chopped salad which is what made me think to try it. It is also reminiscent of my favorite chopped salad of all time at ISABELLA'S on 77th street in NYC where I used to go for lunch any chance I would get. It takes me back...


Depending on your diet, if you can add fruit, an egg, some shrimp or chicken or chopped or shredded cheese, it definitely gives the salad a little extra UMMPH (albeit with a few more calories)! One add-on that I have found that really pushes the salad over the edge for me is croutons (or crunchy chinese noodles). I am willing to forgo the extra 1 or 2 pounds that I might lose over the course of a year in order to add them considering if you buy the right brand you can have 10-20 of them in your salad and it is only 1 to 1.5 grams of fat and 35 Calories. (I like CHATHAM VILLAGE GARDEN HERB)

I hope you have found some of these tips helpful (and healthy).

Note: My beloved salad is still on the menu at ISABELLA'S and it looks like they have added some additional chopped salads as well. As it turns out they are also starting a year-long celebration for their 20 year anniversary and are offering up recipes on-line from their original menus as well as some specials so check out their site if you are interested- details below.

Sadly, I have not lost any more weight since last week but I am staying the course for a little bit longer because I feel skinnier and healthier and it is mind above matter, right?

Gotta go eat lunch now.

Until next week...
Diet Girl

Restaurant: Isabella's
Location: 359 Columbus Avenue, NYC (corner of 77th street)
Phone: 212.724.2100
Website: www.brguestrestaurants.com

No comments: