Diet Girl Survived Week 1!

January 13, 2009

Realization of the week:
If the quantity of food that I am eating now is really what they refer to as "portion control" then I must have been eating enough for a 400 pound man and it is no wonder that I didn't weigh that much.

Week 1 Highlights:
  • Afternoon of Day 4 we had plans with my cousin and her family and Diet Girl went on a WINE BENDER (considering no wine allowed on her diet)!! My cousin and her husband love wine and always share some good bottles.
As a group, this is what we sampled:

2005 George Duboeuf Macon Village (an inexpensive staple that we drink year round)

2007 Thumbprint Cellars Dry Creek Valley Rose (purchased by Foodie from Wines Til' Sold Out)

2005 Harrington Pinot Noir from the Sonoma Coast (a big, big Pinot)

2002 St. Clement Oroppas
  • Morning of Day 7, Diet Girl was minus 4 pounds for the week!! I accept this, especially sans exercise but I was secretly hoping for more. I must start exercising this week!
Dieting Bummers:

As I walked the aisles of Whole Foods on Day 2 to stock up on my fruits and vegetables, I had to bypass my favorite sections: the wine and cheese departments. But wait, then I remembered that I could occasionally have non-fat cheese. Hmmm...does anyone actually eat non-fat cheese? Aren't there some things that are not meant to be fat free? There were very few to choose from and after I saw the "off" color of the cheddar, I bought a wedge of swiss (at least it was the right color). I have not been brave enough to try it yet, but will let you know how it goes. One other thought- portion-wise, is it possible to eat only 10 peanuts (without salt)?

In the afternoon of Day 3, I took one of my daughters to what I call a 3-alarm birthday party at Chuck-E-Cheese. (3 alarm meaning 3 birthday parties all happening at the same time with about 100 kids combined). I missed my afternoon snack and the smell of pizza and chicken wings wafted through the air. It took all of the will power that I had not to have a little nibble (I didn't) and then even more restraint not to have a glass of wine when I returned home from the party- afterall, it was Happy Hour time and conveniently Friday.

Morning of Day 5: The headache I had after the wine bender was worse then any I can remember- at least in the short-term. It seems besides the calories, the main reason not to drink on a diet such as this one is because you don't have enough food in your stomach to handle the alcohol. Am I becoming a lightweight? Unlikely. The wine was still worth it despite the headache.

In summary, Days 2-7 were not nearly as bad as Day 1. The food, though not gourmet has been a little better than I originally anticipated. Yes, the breakfast foods are on the dry side, the pasta dishes (tortellini, fettucine, etc.) are a little overcooked and soggy for my liking, but the thin crust and flatbread pizzas for dinner make all in the world good again (no joke) and give me the strength to continue!

A little skinnier...Diet Girl signing off until next week...

No comments: