Introducing Diet Girl

January 7, 2009

Everyone who loves food and wine and indulging must have that little voice in their head telling them they could stand to lose a few pounds or that they should be watching what they eat or exercising more as those pounds start to pile up.

The alter ego to Foodie...introducing Diet Girl.

Diet Girl:

Bare with me on the length of this posting so I can lay the groundwork.

I decided this year that along with the masses I would diet in the first month or so of the New Year to shed those extra pounds that never quite disappeared after baby number 1 (almost 6 years ago) and baby number 2 (3 1/2 years ago). Admittedly, my wine and food consumption had not helped in tackling this task previously and let's face it, I am not getting any younger.

How to decide on which diet? I am not a big snacker, but clearly I was not eating the right combination of foods. If anyone knows of a diet where you can still have a few glasses of wine every night, please let me know. My husband had a lot of success last year with one of the pre-packaged food scenarios (not mentioning any names) so I decided that was the way to go and placed my order for a month's worth of food. It arrived yesterday and I have to admit, I was a little bit excited at the prospect of dropping a few UNTIL...

I opened my cereal packet bright and early this morning only to learn that I would be having just a bite as opposed to a bowl of cereal. No wonder it is possible to have only 4 ounces of milk with it! Breakfast was rounded out by 1/2 a banana and a glass of skim milk. I am a big breakfast eater and I LOVE starches so to stay that I was starving after my first meal of the day really wasn't an exaggeration.

I think it is safe to say that dieters think about food more than anyone because from the second I finished my glass of milk I was thinking about when I would eat next and what was for lunch.

Lunch by the way was an uneventful tiny portion of fettucine alfredo (fettucine?? think ramen noodles with a little flavoring) and a salad made by yours truly. My afternoon snack was a scrambled egg with only pepper for flavor but it could have been the heartiest thing I ate all day- protein, baby, protein. I have to admit the thin crust pizza for dinner which I added mushrooms to was very tasty but since it was the size of a quarter, I took it down in one bite (OK, it wasn't that small but close) and I had another salad. Part of me is wondering if the pizza was that good or if I am light-headed and/or brainwashed from today's menu. The Chocolate Caramel Bar for dessert was not all it was cut out to be- I'll leave it at that.

A couple of final thoughts on Day 1:

1- Anyone who basically completely stops eating can lose weight.
2- Would it have been easier to have my lips sewn shut for a couple of weeks?
3- I would love a glass of wine right now.

Stay tuned for updates on my success.

Hungrily yours,
Diet Girl

No comments: