Foodie Favorites is Back!

September 4, 2012

Doesn't everyone like a comeback?  Well, after 3 years from my last posting, Foodie is back...

Where has the time gone?  It's been busy but we've still enjoyed our Foodie Finds, I just didn't make the time to write about them. I've realized over the last few weeks that blogging about our favorite recipes, restaurants, wines, etc. was still a great way to talk about and share some of the stuff that I love.  Bear with me while I'm finding my groove again and we'll be on our way!

After a 3 year hiatus, I didn't have writer's block per se, but it wasn't easy to decide what to write about so I'm going to start simple with a recipe I made when some friends were over a couple of weeks ago.  The recipe was for Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto compliments of Cooking Light magazine from September 2010.  (yes, I'm behind on my magazines as well!)  The recipe was only a guide for me as I used what I had on hand to make it even easier.  Enjoy the original recipe, the Foodie version or make your own version by swapping in other veggies or pasta.  It's super fast, tasty, and easy.

We can't wait for your feedback.  After not posting for 3 years, our followers have dwindled down to only a loyal couple so tell your friends to join our mailing list at www.foodiefavorites.blogspot.com and they'll be e-mailed directly every time there is a new posting.

Bon Appetit!

 Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto Recipe

Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto (Cooking Light, September 2010)
Ingredients:
2 quarts plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
1 (16-ounce) package vacuum-packed gnocchi (I used 4 cheese tortellini instead because it was in the fridge)
4 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, coarsely chopped
1 cup basil leaves*
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted*
2 tablespoons pre-shredded Parmesan cheese*
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice*
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic*
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil*

*Instead of making the pesto which I'm sure would have been delicious and a good use for all of that basil you're going to have left over in your garden, I used a few spoonfuls of pre-made Buitoni's Pesto with Basil that you can find in most supermarkets.

1.  Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven.  Add gnocchi to pan; cook 4 minutes or until done (gnocchi will rise to surface).  Remove with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl.  Add asparagus and shrimp to pan; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.  Drain.  Add shrimp mixture to gnocchi.
2.  Combine remaining 1 tablespoon water, basil and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides.  Drizzle oil through food chute with food processor on; process until well blended.  Add basil mixture to shrimp mixture; toss to coat.  Serve immediately.  Yield: 4 servings (serving size 2 cups).

Find other healthy recipes at www.cookinglight.com.

No comments: